Overall 2013 was a more active year for me than 2012. I took 4,344,430 steps in 2013 vs. 3,895,859 in 2012.
2013 BY THE NUMBERS
- 11,902 — Average steps per day
- 32,415 — Most steps in a day
- 7,281 — Floors climbed
- 26.5 — Miles on March 17, 2013. I looked back at my calendar and realized this was the Sunday that my older brother was beating me on steps for the week. Fitbit sends out a a weekly email every Monday to all your friends with a steps leaderboard for the previous week. I wasn’t about to let him beat me and still haven’t.
The biggest change for me this year was joining Flywheel in August. Flywheel is spinning class on steroids. The typical class is 45 minutes and I quickly became addicted and started going 5 to 6 times a week and sometimes every day of the week.
The main difference between Flywheel and your typical cycling class is the “Torqboard”. Torqboards are TVs mounted in front of the room so that everyone in the class can see them.
The Torqboard has real time stats of which riders are leading the pack throughout the class. The instructors will throw in 30 second to 1 minute races throughout the workout which show on the Torqboard and push you even harder. After the workout all of your stats are uploaded to the Flywheel site.
For those of you that know me, I am extremely competitive and having a real time ranking that everyone can see pushed me to work harder. Here are my total stats from Flywheel:
FLYWHEEL BY THE NUMBERS
- 68 — Average RPM
- 22.9 — Average Total Distance (Miles)
- 1,019 — Average Calories Burned
- 2,593.4 — Total Distance (Miles)
I looked on Google Maps to see how far 2,593 miles would get me. I found that if I hopped on I-90 in Seattle and rode east I could get to Buffalo, New York. Not bad for a morning workout.